Genome Assembly and Analysis Programmer
The Human Genome Sequencing Center (HGSC) at Baylor College of Medicine seeks a Genome Assembly and Analysis Programmer, an enthusiastic individual to work with software in a rapidly evolving research environment to support the advance of next generation sequencing technology and genomics research.
As one of three large-scale sequencing centers funded by the National Institutes of Health, HGSC provides a unique opportunity to work with cutting-edge genomic scientists, and new clinical sequencing initiatives.
* Assemble, annotate, analyze, publish genome sequence data.
* Develop, genome analyses, bioinformatics programming for the analysis of sequence data.
* Ability to prioritize and organize various tasks for large projects.
Tasks to be performed in this job include managing genome data flow for data publication including submission to national archives, publication in high profile scientific journals, genome browsers, as well as supporting the development and deployment of laboratory information management systems and new software tools to support analysis.
Required: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related programming field. Preferred: A degree in domain informatics (computational biology, computational chemistry, bioinformatics, clinical informatics).
Required: Three years experience in scientific programming with applications to genome research or a Master's degree in Computer Science or Biological Sciences and one year of directly related work experience .
Strong computational/programming skills, including experience with the following: UNIX environment, clustered computing (MOAB/Torque, PBS, or LSF familiarity), proficiency in a programming language (Ruby, Python, Perl, or C++).
* Experience producing code documentation and using software best practices
* Exposure to statistical analysis of large datasets
* Familiarity with annotation pipelines and tools (Maker, Ensembl, RefSeq, Augustus, FgenesH, SNAP, Nscan)
* Experience with genome assembly tools (All-Paths, CABOG, Newbler, Soap)
* Ability to handle and prioritize analysis requirements
* Ability to function independently and solve technically complex problems.
Please apply directly to 110193JC at www.medschooljobs.org
Baylor College of Medicine is a premier academic health science institution known for excellence in education, research and patient care.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.